Our trip around the world takes us back to India, where we visited a few weeks ago to try out their delicious butter chicken. Tandoori chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices and traditionally cooked in a clay pot, but this recipe works on the grill or in the oven.
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 lbs bone-in skinless chicken thighs (drumsticks or breasts work well here too)
- In a small skillet, combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, garam masala and paprika.
- Cook over medium heat until slightly toasted and fragrant, stirring frequently, about 1–2 minutes. (In a rush this step can be skipped, it does add a little more flavor).
- In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, spices from skillet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken thighs and toss well in mixture to coat evenly.
- Cover bowl and transfer to refrigerator and let marinate at least 3 hours and up to 10 hours.
- To grill: Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees. Grill chicken 10–12 minutes per side for bone-in thighs, until chicken registers 165 in the center of the thickest part.
- To bake in the oven: Preheat oven to 425 degrees, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a large wire rack on baking sheet. Grease rack with cooking spray. Cook chicken until center registers 165 in the center of the thickest part, turning once halfway through (approx. 35–40 mins for bone-in. Broil during last 3 minutes for more color.
See the video for this recipe here.
Expanded Learning Opportunities
- – Try out one of the activities from our last trip to India.
- – Henna is believed to bring positive spirits and good luck. Make your own henna hand craft by following these instructions.
- – Here is a 12-page printable to color and learn about India.
- – Mandalas are geometric design that is symbolic of Hinduism, the largest religion of India. Try making your own mandala design with colored pasta.