This week, we received our first Misfits Market produce box. The contents were a surprise and upon opening it, we were treated to some vegetables we are less familiar with! What a fun way to get the creative juices flowing in the kitchen again! This week’s show theme will explore some lesser known vegetables to help expose our family to them! (PS, if you’d like to try www.misfitsmarket.com, use code COOKWME-EH7RIK for 25% off your first order (and we’ll receive 25% off our next order too!)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 fennel bulb (thinly sliced)
- 5 celery stalks (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (preferably shaved), to serve
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat and add the pine nuts. Toast for 5 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Thinly slice your fennel and celery. Add them to a large bowl. Add in the celery leaves.
- Toss together with with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toasted pine nuts.
- Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan to serve.
See the original video for this recipe here.
Expanded Learning Opportunities
– Save those fennel fronds! Not only do they make a great garnish, you can also use them to make fennel frond pesto.
– The root of the fennel can regrow a new plant! Plant the bottom of yours in the garden and see what happens!
– Eating the Alphabet is one of our favorite books to read and spot different types of fruits and vegetables. Here’s a read aloud of it if you don’t have a copy at home.