An easy warm weather side dish, this is an easy adaptation of a recipe my grandmother (Nanny) used to make for me. Feel free to add those in, or use any combination with what you have on hand.
- Tomato, quartered if using cherry tomatoes, or diced with regular
- Cucumber, diced or sliced into half moons
- Red onion (optional), diced
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tbsp. Sumac (substitute lemon zest and salt)
- Salt and pepper
- Feta cheese
- Chop vegetables as directed.
- Combine in a bowl.
- Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and sumac.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with feta cheese.
See the original video for this recipe here.
Expanded Learning Opportunities
– Did you try spice painting already?
– Use your leftover cucumber and lemon pieces to make a refreshing cucumber water.
– Find some other ways to use sumac (hint, it’s great on popcorn and roasted chickpeas)
– Learn about all the seeds we eat